Sizing and dimensions tips
- Each kit can size up to 4 ft x 4 ft (or 16 sq/ft). We recommend the louver length max up to 4 ft per section as the lumber can twist and sag over 4 ft long. Composite wood boards can be used with max. 3 ft span.
- Each kit has 22 brackets to hold 11 louver boards (lumber not included).
- If running the boards vertically, we recommend a maximum span of 6 ft.
- Our brackets receive 1" x 6" boards (actual measures ¾" x 5½ ") or 5/4" deck boards only. The spacing between the brackets is designed to fit 6" louver board height.
- The standard kit rails are 4 feet in length. You can butt the rails together for longer application, and cut the adjoining ends to create a 4″ space between center holes. To prevent gaps in the closed position, trim each end of the rail leaving a minimum 3″ span from the trimmed-off edge to the first pre-punched hole.
- To connect the operating bars, you can make a connector piece from an extra operating bar (cut the bar with a minimum of 2 pre-punched holes). Attach onto the brackets on opposite ends of the operating bar placement.
What is a louver?
A “louver” is from the French word “l’ouvert” or “the open one” and is most often associated with interiors. A window, blind or shutter with an arrangement of parallel horizontal and sometimes vertical blades or slats, made of plastic, glass, metal or wood is designed to regulate ventilation or sunshine while keeping out elements such as dirt or water. We have adapted the concept for exteriors – hardware to mount blades in a frame – and made it applicable to fences, gazebos, pergolas, etc.
What are the best wood species to use with FLEXfence?
The choice of wood will depend on the application, the direction of the slats (horizontal vs vertical) and your budget. Cedar or Redwood are best as they have excellent exterior application qualities and tend not to warp. PT lumber is not recommended as it can warp or twist if not completely dried (internally).
Can FLEXfence be used with composite boards?
Composite boards should only run vertically because of the load, otherwise, they will sag over time. If the boards run horizontally, the spans should be kept short because of the weight. Composite boards are not recommended for overhang applications.
How can I keep water out of awnings, overhangs and pergola roofs?
A minimum slope of 30 degrees will allow water to cascade over the blades. These are not 100% waterproof. Water will drip on the sides (where brackets and rails meet). There is no protection against driving rain.
How can I operate the louvers from the ground?
To open/close the louvers, strategically place T nuts into the 1 x 6 boards (T on the top side) then attach machine eyebolts into the T nuts. You can open and close louvers by using a dowel and an open hook. You can then remove the rod when you wish.
Has FLEXfence been used for pergolas and roofs in snow regions?
FLEXfence has been successfully used for roof applications in many snow areas and states such as Colorado. The key for roof applications is proper joists and ensuring the blades (1” x 6” board) are not too long, to prevent sagging. Boards should not exceed 4′ lengths. If your area is subject to heavy snow it is best to leave the louvers open.
Can the louvers be locked in place?
To lock the louvers, close the louvers section and drill a hole (¾” deep) into the rail/post next to a closed bracket. Then fit a corresponding peg into the hole.
Does the operating bar "lock" to prevent the louvers from flapping in the wind?
First, mount the brackets very loosely (Step 3 on the Instruction Sheet). Then, if the louvers swivel too freely, you can stiffen the movement by tightening just one bracket.
When mounting FLEXfence onto a post, does it matter whether we use 4” or 6” fence posts?
With 4″ x 4″ fence posts, you can center our rails onto the posts and you will have access to attach the operating bar (Last step in assembly- Step #6 in instructions). Whereas, when using 6″ x 6″ posts, our rails must be offset to one edge of the post to provide access for attaching the operating bar.
Can you paint the FLEXfence Louver System?
Yes, you can with plastic-compatible paint.
Can't find the answer?
👉 Please contact us - we'd love to help.